I love it when a plan comes together, and this one fires on my favorite cylinders: music, iPhoneography, social media and especially Public Relations. How could I not write a blog post about this!? I’m sending a huge thanks to one of my favorite bands, Garbage, for including my artwork in the promo video for I Hate Love, a track off their new album due in May, their first in seven years. I don’t hate love, but I do love me some Garbage, and not just because of their excellent taste in visual art. My grungy abstraction, “Heart on a Wall“ flashes for half a second at :44 — if you don’t want to see it, be sure to blink. Just to prove I am not making this up, here ’tis:
The group even refers to it a “beautiful” in their Facebook album of all the artwork:
Obviously, I am pumped for this album. I’ve been a fan of the group since day one, and think they’re a talented bunch. Props to the band for some smart and fun crowdsourcing — way to make the most of social media and get the promo machine rolling for the record. It’s low-cost, super fun for the fans, and you might even get some music nerd to write a blog about it. Check their site for a look at how they did this.
All other bands should take note. Seriously. Email me. Let’s do some iPhoneography.
Have you ever been part of a crowdsourced promotion through social media or other media? Have you ever interacted directly with a favorite band, professional athlete, artist, public figure, or a celebrity you admire? Is there value in this type of promotion? Let us hear from you in the comments!
- First Listen: Garbage Previews Their New Song ‘I Hate Love’ (pinkisthenewblog.com)
- Garbage Announce First New Album In 7 Years To Be Released In May (kroq.radio.com)
- Serj Tankian & Shirley Manson – “The Hunger” (jambase.com)
- Shirley Manson Rocks My Universe (poppingcherry.wordpress.com)
- U2 and the Importance of Dialogue With Your Fans (Michael Brandvold)
- Alternative Press Magazine Throw an Arty Party for Their 25th Anniversary – cool artwork by Shirley & others (Ali MacLean)
- Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl’s Grammy Speech Honors the ‘Human Element’ of Music [Video] (inquisitr.com)
- Progress Report: Garbage (stereogum.com)
- Garage Bands & Garbage Men (nrhatch.wordpress.com)
- Song of the day – 26 September 2013 (romafluxe.com)