My favorite public relations episode of the past few weeks is the awkwardly hilarious yet unexpectedly salient interview with Russell Brand on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” program. It’s resulted in some choice PR for Brand, probably wholly unintentionally. One of the hosts, Mika Brzezinski, even apologized later for the lack of professionalism that day — fully admitting not knowing whom she was interviewing.
I realize “Morning Joe” is not known for trenchant journalism, but I believe Brand was justified in calling these folks out in return for their snarkiness (among other derisive behavior). My favorite description of the whole affair is from Alexandra Petri at The Washington Post who sums it up nicely:
I would liken the hosts to a kitten pouncing on what it assumes is a dazed snake and discovering it has latched onto the tail end of a dragon. It’s cringe-inducing. ‘You’re talking about me as if I’m not here and as if I’m an extraterrestrial,’ he observes. Never mock someone with a British accent.
Although there are some dissenting opinions, the reaction I’ve seen since has overwhelmingly sided with Brand, giving some unforseen PR juice to his Messiah Complex tour — and making for some pretty entertaining television.
Update: Read about the encounter from Brand, himself, in this article he wrote for The Guardian: Russell Brand: what I made of Morning Joe and Question Time
What do you think? Was Brand out of line, or does that even matter? What would you have done in his shoes, or in those of the hosts? Let us hear from you in the comments.
- Russell Brand Takes Over the News As Only He Could – Morning Joe (Grady Carter)
- TV: Great Job, Internet!: Russell Brand eviscerated the hosts of MSNBC’s Morning Joe (avclub.com)
- Russell Brand Shows Us How All Journalists Should Be Handled. (austrianaddict.com)
- Russell Brand Schools MSNBC On Professionalism In 8 Minutes Of Epic Television (thoughtcatalog.com)
- Mika Brzezinski Is Sorry About That Shi**y Russell Brand Interview (jezebel.com)
- Russell Brand demolishing Chelsea Handler on Chelsea Lately (youtube)
- Russell Brand devastates ‘Morning Joe’ — does he have a point? (Washington Post)
- Truth Bomb on Mainstream Media & Russell Brand Bonus (What in the World is Going On?)
- Russell Brand Destroyed Some MSNBC Hosts (VIDEO) (wwtdd.com)
- Russell Brand Hijacks Morning Joe, Skewers Brzezinski & Guests: ‘Is This What You All Do For A Living?’ (mediaite.com)