Prolific, versatile corporate/marketing communications, writing and graphic/web design professional with nearly two decades experience in digital and print, from non-profits to Fortune 500 levels. Expert proficiency with demonstrable results in corporate public relations and communications, social media, web/graphic design, writing.
Specialties and Keywords
Media Relations, Corporate Communications, Public Relations, Social Media, Crisis Communication, Writing, Public Speaking, Analytics, Digital Communications, Marketing Communications, Web Design, Graphic Design, HTML, Website Management, Digital Media, Print Media, Photoshop, WordPress
Lead Manager, Communications · RAI Services Co. · Winston-Salem, NC · 2009-present
Designing and executing external communications initiatives for the operating companies of Reynolds American Inc. (R.J. Reynolds Tobacco, RJR Vapor Company, American Snuff Company, Niconovum).
- Media spokesperson for all brand marketing and many other public affairs issues.
- Driving awareness and understanding of corporate strategy while providing public relations support, oversight and guidance for all brand-related projects (product launch/expansion, advertising, digital) as well as legislative and governmental initiatives (harm reduction, policy development).
- Working closely with multiple agencies at all levels of brand- and issues-based creative and PR projects.
- Maintaining all aspects of and developing content for many external and internal corporate websites (RJRT.com, RJRVapor.com, AmericanSnuffCo.com, other ad-hoc issues-based sites).
- Developing communications materials: press releases, executive presentations, master talking points and Q&A documents on multiple brand and issue topics.
- Training employees across functions in social media principles, trends and best practices.
- Implemented online advertising for government relations issues with advanced analytics and reporting.
- Developed, co-authored and implemented corporate social media policy across operating companies and social media profiles across multiple channels.
Creative Services Manager · PhoneTree · Winston-Salem · NC · 2002-2009
Writing, editing and web design for multimillion-dollar worldwide telecommunications business.
- Responsible for content creation, promotion, and tracking of external website, including market-specific copywriting and video.
- Produced multiple personalized-URL print/online campaigns, bringing net annual sales increase of $100,000+.
- Designed and developed content for corporate sales literature, press releases, events, and e-marketing campaigns.
- Managed internal company intranet as central resource hub for sales and customer service departments.
- Coordinated each step of production and fulfillment for all marketing materials with outside vendors.
Owner, Blogger · rsmithing.com · 2011-present
Ongoing posts on photography, social media, public relations, technology, music, and writing, with exclusive content and comments from bestselling authors, worldwide brands and artists, along with my own photography and artwork. Featured as guest writer and cited source in other online publications.
Website Designer · Insync Creative · High Point, NC · 2000-2001
Copywriting, production and concept development for web with full-service advertising agency.
- Created multiple websites and proposals for existing client base, providing all design, html, scripting, graphics.
- Performed high-visibility image retouching, color-correcting, photo editing for web and print content.
Owner, Designer · rsmithdesign · 1999-present
Developing a full range of websites, from personalized URL campaigns to content management systems-based corporate presences. Also creating a full span of logos, digital/print collateral and marketing specialty media.
Presentation Specialist · Pratt & Whitney · West Hartford, CT · 1999-2000
Creation and management of executive-level sales material for Fortune 50 aerospace manufacturer.
- Fully responsible for design, consistency, and production of business-to-business sales presentations.
- Directed content traffic from multiple company divisions, ensuring input deadlines and standards.
- Worked very closely with senior management to distill highly technical information into marketable form.
Art Director · Market America, Greensboro, NC · 1997-1998
Production and coordination of marketing collateral for worldwide direct sales company.
- Produced monthly magazine and newsletter for network of distributors, generating all copy and advertisements.
- Interviewed management and suppliers for articles and press releases, editing for consistency/tone.
- Systemized project review between production and executive staffs, enforcing corporate standards and deadlines.
Marketing Administrator · Boone Area Chamber of Commerce, Boone, NC · 1996-1997
Marketing material development and design for major regional tourism and business development center.
- Rendered concepts into projects – print advertisements, brochures and direct mail, producing design and copy.
- Wrote press releases for community and chamber events, serving as media relations contact.
Social Media: Active daily across many platforms consistently since 2003 with thousands of followers on all major platforms: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, Flickr, other personal and professional blogs.
Education: Appalachian State University, Boone, NC · BA, English, 1996 · Minors in Fine Art and Communication.