A little blue humor with your blue light special?
I remember being in a Kmart a hazy handful of times in the ’70s seeing a blue siren flash after an announcement over Kmart’s intercom. It was exciting, and an obvious gimmick to get some quick attention while having a little fun.
Something similar is happening now with Kmart’s latest ad campaign, dubbed “Ship My Pants.” Highlighting the retailer’s offering of in-store shipping, excited customers riff about shipping their pants, drawers, a bed, and… you get the idea.
I love some wacky wordplay, so I’m naturally a fan of the ad. I don’t know that I’ll be shopping at Kmart any more because of it, but I’ll definitely be smirking the next time it happens, or maybe even the next time I drive by a store.
It reminds me of the “Make 7up Yours” campaign from the ’90s…
I noted the similarity to Kmart through Twitter, and they acknowledge the connection.
— Kmart (@Kmart) April 20, 2013
My take away is that, although this might be a bawdy approach, it gets us discussing the brand when there was absolutely no chatter before. It’s getting a boatload of press – positive, even – which was precisely what it was intended to do, so kudos to Kmart’s PR team for deft handling. In the case of Old Spice, this did get me interested in the product, and it will be interesting to follow Kmart’s business as consumers start to, um… ship their pants.
What do you think? Can you recall a similar campaign? Would this make you more or less likely to shop at a Kmart or similar advertiser? Let us hear from you in the comments.
- Kmart’s ‘ship my pants’ ad causes shockwaves and smiles (usatoday.com)
- Kmart’s ‘Ship My Pants’ ad: Genius or epic fail? (ragan.com)
- Kmart and Draft FCB’s “shippy” commercial delivers boffo results along with controversy (Gods of Advertising)
- Kmart’s Hilarious New Ad Will Make You Ship Your Pants (dailyfinance.com)
- Ad of the day: Kmart Ship My Pants (adageinspired)
- Blue Light Special: “Ship My Pants” (IMC Student Blog)
- Lessons for Communicators From Kmart’s Wildly Successful “Ship My Pants” Viral Video (prnewsonline.com)
- Kmart Will Ship Your Pants (Commercial Society)
- How Kmart Used Social Listening (And Some Nerve) To Create A Ship-My-Pants Funny Viral Hit (fastcocreate.com)
- Kmart Just Got Cool: They Shipped the Bed (Al Getler)
- Dove – Playing Off Women’s Insecurities One Day at A Time (Table For One)