Are your favorite performing artists underrepresented for their work? Does the mainstream “best of” not reflect your tastes? Then make your own awards. This is my blog, with my completely biased opinions – The Grammys, this is not. That said, the rsmithing.com music awards for the past year go to…
Best Video: Melodysheep, Happy Little Clouds
I interview the mastermind behind Melodysheep, and all-round cool dude, John Boswell, here.
Best Concert: Beats Antique, Cat’s Cradle, May 4, 2012
Best New Artist: How To Destroy Angels
It’s atmospheric Nine Inch Nails with a female voice. Totally works.
Best Comeback: Quicksand
The band’s breakthrough album, Slip, is a certified classic.
Best Shoutout to Me: Garbage
One of my favorite bands featured my artwork in a promo video. Full story here.
Album of The Year: Deftones, Koi No Yokan
The Deftones‘ enduring talent surges ever forward.
Best Electronica: Photek, KU:PALM
Photek came back after many years with a sparse-yet-rich new record.
Best Topical Humor: CollegeHumor, Look at This Instagram
Thanks to Sarah Khanna, food blogger at butteredup.com, for turning me on to this. I think.
What do you think? What were your best musical moments of the past year? What other categories would you include? Let us hear from you in the comments.
- Photek’s KU: PALM Embraces Past, Present, Future (rsmithing.com)
- Deftones December Wrap Up (cgiovanniwrites.wordpress.com)
- Melodysheep: ‘The Face of Creation’ – Higgs Remix (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- Who is Skrillex and Why Did He Win Three Grammys? (…What is Dubstep Anyways?!?!) (CA Music Industry Summit)
- Abum Review: Photek – KU:PALM (Five Fist Reviews)