So you want to become Instagram Popular?
Here are 10 fun tips to help you become Instagram Famous. While there’s no guarantee, and while some just follow a zillion others hoping for follow-backs (aka “ghost follower” Instagram profiles – not cool; I block ‘em all) …posting interesting images and participating around the site will always be your best strategies.
Instagram Cheat, Instagram Popular Formula…
Can’t be done! Sorry! That said, these tips should not only help you become Instafamous, but also improve your photography and enjoy ever more famous Instagram adventures no matter what. These are from my own experience in about a year of being on the site, rather than from an Instagram computer that magically controls the Explore Page. Like these tips? Share ‘em on Twitter!
How to become popular on Instagram:
- Don’t be afraid to get the shot; do it! The opportunity will not come back. Who cares if someone looks at you strangely? They’ll get over it in about 2 seconds. Your image will last forever.
- Master a photo editing app. Get one or two apps you’re intuitive with and practice using them for edits. It may take some experimenting, so plan to spend at least $20 in the app store. Hey, do you like pizza? Well for the cost of a decent pizza, you can get a bunch of cool apps to experiment with. Don’t be a cheapo; make the investment.
- Enter challenges. They’re an easy and fun way to see what others are doing and grow your skills.
- Pick a filter and stick with it for about 20 photos to make a strong impression. The effect is undeniable and eliminates complexity.
- Thank people religiously, leave comments, and be funny. Or, at least try to be funny.
- Use a 3rd party site like Gramfeed. They’re great for comment effectiveness, and much easier than typing every single letter on your tiny phone keyboard.
- Rock and roll all night and party every day. That’s more a just general life lesson, but it should at the very least provide some good raw material. OK, real tip: consider an accessory lens for close-ups. I did this and am seeing the world in a new way, especially bugs.
- Hashtag the crap out of your photos. Look up keywords in other languages and make friends from around the world.
- Keep a bunch of hashtags handy in a note so you can copy and paste as appropriate. You might also use groups of tags for common subjects (vacation, flowers, retro, etc.). Tap around on some hashtags at the site and find the popular ones that appeal to you most.
- Process pics later. You might have a great photo-op in line at the TSA security check, but sometimes it’s best just to get the pic and move on as fast as possible, then dive deeply into the editing afterward (like once you’re on the plane).
Take really, really excellent photos! Get creative, encourage others, and have fun on the site!
Cool Stuff Huh? Share it on Twitter!
Did You Enjoy This? Enter your email up top to get the latest updates as they’re published. I do one post per month on each of these topics: photography, social media, public relations, technology, music, and writing. It’s about 2 posts max per week, and I welcome your comments with links to your sites as well. And hey, you can always unsubscribe – but you won’t even know if you’re missing stuff unless you sign up!
Do me a solid and check out the rest of rsmithing.com if you’re interested, and say hello in the comments. Since you’ve read this far about Instagram tips, you might also like the photography category. I’d really like to know if these tips work for you, so say hi in another post or on Instagram. Thanks, and have fun!
- 6 Types of Photos That Work on Instagram (SocialFresh.com)
- 7 Steps for Getting More Instagram Followers (SocialFresh.com)
- How to become “most popular” in Instagram (instagramers.com)
- 10 Tips for Mastering Instagram (Digital-Photography-School.com)
- Instagram Popular Page Rules (appdaptation.com)
- Getting Started on Instagram (TheBeginnersLens.com)
- Instagram for Android Now Available (cNet)
- How to post Instagram Images on Pinterest (NEW POST at rsmithing.com)