I love it when fiction and real life intersect in clever, funny, or serendipitous ways. I especially like seeing that happen to the mutual benefit of everyone involved – including the public at large – in terms of culture jamming.
That’s what happened this week with Tide and The Onion. The publication ran a faux story on a product that doesn’t necessarily translate perfectly to social media releasing a “cool new viral video.” About… detergent? You get the joke.
Tide Turns Tables on The Onion
It just so happens that the actual company noticed this post and, in what must have been a Herculean effort of corporate teamwork, crafted a brilliant, self-aware response. And they even publicized it via a promoted tweet. Here’s the video and The Onion’s response.
I hope other corporations can enjoy and learn from this as an example of PR done right. Keep the funny videos coming, Tide.
What do you think? Was this the right move on Tide’s part? Have you heard of the story elsewhere, or does publicity like this actually amount to anything? Let us hear from you in the comments!
- Tide Detergent Releases Viral Video In Response To The Onion Spoof (mediaite.com)
- The Onion Describes ‘Cool New Tide Video’ Before Digitas Creates It (adrants.com)
- Check Out This Cool New Tide Detergent Video (adweek.com)
- Tide, P&G, Embraces Onion Lampoon of Their Viral Videos (reelseo.com)
- Tide creates ‘cool new’ video in response to The Onion article (Ragan.com)